Re: The name of applications on GNOME 3.7.92 testing image

On Saturday, March 23, 2013 02:11 AM, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
On Fri, 2013-03-22 at 12:51 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
gedit is becoming more of a programmer's editor, so the gedit team
wants to keep the "gedit" brand while people work on a new simple
Notepad-equivalent that will be called "Text Editor".

What would be a use case for such application? Most people (based on my
own, 100% certain guess ;) ) who use text editors are willing to deal
with small extra complexity of GEdit/notepad++/... as compared to
Windows notepad. For those who don't there are specialized options like
notes or whatever replaces Tomboy. I fail to see why GEdit would be more
complicated for 'normal' users then notepad.

Most people I know use a word processor (MS Word, LibreOffice Writer,...) when they want to write text, even for quick things without formatting.

I don't think a **simple** text editor à-la Notepad really is that useful for anybody. It might even be confusing for many people.

Try to explain the difference between a "word processor" and a "text editor" for example. Usually, the next question is « But then what's the point of something that lets you type simple text, but without any formatting? »

I personally have no idea of the answer, as like you said, there are (or will be) dedicated apps for the interesting use cases (e.g note-taking).

--
Mathieu