Re: The name of applications on GNOME 3.7.92 testing image

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Mathieu Bridon <bochecha fedoraproject org> wrote:

Most people I know use a word processor (MS Word, LibreOffice Writer,...) when they want to write text, even for quick things without formatting.

I don't think a **simple** text editor à-la Notepad really is that useful for anybody. It might even be confusing for many people.

Try to explain the difference between a "word processor" and a "text editor" for example. Usually, the next question is « But then what's the point of something that lets you type simple text, but without any formatting? »

I used to use word processing programs, but now I only use Google Docs (if that counts as a word processing program), a text editor (for writing code and taking notes in class), or a note-taking application.  Word processing programs are (imo) generally unwieldy, inconvenient, and don't provide enough document portability. As a student I want to have access to my documents no matter what device I am using, so I tend to choose convenience over lots of formatting options.  Anyway, that's just my use case.

Meg Ford

I personally have no idea of the answer, as like you said, there are (or will be) dedicated apps for the interesting use cases (e.g note-taking).

--
Mathieu