Re: Visual effects

On 08/05/2014 02:30 PM, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:

I've tried recently KDE, and by default it has too much visual effects,
IMHO. With time, it seems that GNOME follows the same path, there are
more and more visual effects.

I think too much visual effects is bad for a distraction-free desktop.
Exactly the same principle applies for presentation slides. To take an
extreme example, it's not really a good idea to add a firework animation
between each slide… The public will be less concentrated on the contents
of the presentation. On a desktop you want to focus on the work you're
working on.

I don't think the problem is not so much that KDE has too many animations, but that they in some cases are being used in the wrong situations and many of need a bit more work in their timing. If you look at OSes such as Android and iOS they use animations to their advantage for things like aiding navigation and to give feedback when you've successfully clicking an object (the physical resistance in a mouse button serve a similar function). However, they also use it to make the system feel smooth, responsive and in some cases faster. I think we should aim towards that. To do it with style and not only when we can.
- Andreas