Re: GNOME HIG: Feedback Wanted

On Fri, 2014-08-22 at 08:47 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
Hi all,

A new version of the HIG is in the works, to be released along with
GNOME 3.14 [1]. I'm currently looking for feedback.

I'm particularly interested to know if anything is missing, confusing,
or incorrect from a technical point of view (like if any of the
recommendations are impossible or very difficult to do with current
GTK+).

To read the latest version, just clone gnome-devel-docs and open
hig3/C/index.page with Yelp.

Thanks!

Allan

[1] https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2014/08/21/new-human-interface-guidelines-for-gnome-and-gtk/

Please note that while I plan to write a small app in near future I have
0 experience with GTK+ and even less with the design so I might simply
misunderstood something:

 - Code samples or links to the GTK+ documentation would be nice as I
imagine some UI elements are named for their role rather then the GTK+
widget. Probably the samples are too much work in 3.14 timeframe but
links to documentation would be nice (for example should sidebar be
implemented by GtkPlacesSidebar?)
 - Sidebar lists image shows primary windows and application menu - I
guess different image was intended.
 - Possibly middle mouse button should be discouraged as well due to
confusion with scroll events some mouses have. I had 'fun' using one
application (not in Gnome) where some basic operation was only
accessible through this method.
 - Some sections seems to be meant to be 'obligatory' for beginners
(Essentials or Getting Started) - it would be nice to have next/prev
link instead of relaying on back/next button in yelp

Best regards