Re: GNOME HIG: Feedback Wanted

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Maciej Piechotka <uzytkownik2 gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, 2014-08-22 at 08:47 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
Hi all,

A new version of the HIG is in the works, to be released along with
GNOME 3.14 [1]. I'm currently looking for feedback.

I'm particularly interested to know if anything is missing, confusing,
or incorrect from a technical point of view (like if any of the
recommendations are impossible or very difficult to do with current
GTK+).

To read the latest version, just clone gnome-devel-docs and open
hig3/C/index.page with Yelp.

Thanks!

Allan

[1] https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2014/08/21/new-human-interface-guidelines-for-gnome-and-gtk/

Please note that while I plan to write a small app in near future I have
0 experience with GTK+ and even less with the design so I might simply
misunderstood something:

 - Code samples or links to the GTK+ documentation would be nice as I
imagine some UI elements are named for their role rather then the GTK+
widget. Probably the samples are too much work in 3.14 timeframe but
links to documentation would be nice (for example should sidebar be
implemented by GtkPlacesSidebar?)

That's something I was wondering about too. I'm not sure which
approach would be best though - would it be better to list the GTK+
widgets required, point to examples, link to API docs, or something
else? I'm conscious that, in many examples, the patterns are
composites of different widgets.

 - Sidebar lists image shows primary windows and application menu - I
guess different image was intended.

Yep, thanks! Fixed.

 - Possibly middle mouse button should be discouraged as well due to
confusion with scroll events some mouses have. I had 'fun' using one
application (not in Gnome) where some basic operation was only
accessible through this method.

I'm not sure about that particular issue, but I'll certainly take
another look at that section.

 - Some sections seems to be meant to be 'obligatory' for beginners
(Essentials or Getting Started) - it would be nice to have next/prev
link instead of relaying on back/next button in yelp

I could certainly do that for the essentials pages.

Thanks again!

Allan