Re: [desktop-devel-list] Potential GNOME IDE

On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 11:51:29AM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
I'm all for moving more features from gedit into gtksourceview, since
that benefits all users of gtksourceview, but I'm not sure that I agree
with your argument in favor of specialized text editors. Eclipse and
Netbeans are probably the most successful open source IDEs, and they
support tons of languages through plugins, which gives them a large base
of users outside the Java community. I suspect the way to be a
successful IDE is to emulate them.

It's not because lots of people like big IDEs like Eclipse and Netbeans
that it's the only right way to build a development environment. See Vim
and Emacs, for example, they are also really successful in the free
software world.

But I'm not fully satisfied by big IDEs or general-purpose text editors.

Imagine that creating a text editor like gedit takes 1000 lines of code.
It's almost nothing. It will probably never happen, but if it happens
one day, it will be really easy to create independent text editors,
specialized for only one language (or a set of related languages). The
UI, the features, the settings: all that is tailored to the target
language. You just start the application, and after only a few minutes
of configuration, it works for your project. You want at the same time
to write a LaTeX report and to work on a C project, no problem, you use
two different applications, with different settings, etc. Instead of
creating a complex configuration file with Vim for instance.

I think it is worth exploring this path. Maybe I'm wrong. But maybe it
can provide a really good developer experience.

And by following this path now, we can already simplify the code in
gedit, Anjuta and other text editors.

Best regards,
Sébastien