Re: new maintainer for gnome-dictionary?

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
I think we should have some integration at a platform level — i.e.
"dictionary as a service" — that apps and the shell can use to show
word definitions.

I *definitely* don't think we should integrate this stuff in the shell
as a default; the shell is not the kitchen sink, and it cannot display
large quantities of text.

an app can provide a shell search provider fairly easily, and it can
expose a DBus API that shows a bubble at given coordinates with the
text definition for those apps opting in.

Sure, I didn't mean that the Shell has to contain all the logic
necessary for a dictionary app, I meant that we need better
mechanisms/widgets for displaying such content than we currently have.
For instance, the search provider is not the best place to show a
dictionary definition because it's a context-switch (you can't see the
original text while looking that up). I think this problem also exists
for the new calculator support added to the shell. Right now, it's
easier to use the Firefox search bar for calculations since it shows
you the result in a drop-down list.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team