Re: Developer Docs Roadmap [was Re: Glade release to include GtkHeaderBar?]

On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 18:52 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
RTD has been hugely popular in the Python world, but it's not the only
continuous deployment or automated docs build system out there. Red Hat
and Fedora use Publican for almost everything. ...

The Red Hat Publican deployment seems fairly custom - it is pretty
nice, whereas the other Publican instances I've seen have left me
cold. It would be interesting to know how much work is involved in
making it nice. :)

Not sure. I tried digging into Publican once, but got lost in the Perl.
What I do know is that Publican is very particular about how you set up
and organize your documents. I know it took quite a bit of work to get
the OpenStack docs even buildable with Publican, for example. And AFAIK
Publican is DocBook-only. So, even to get it to handle our docs will
likely be a lot of work, let alone whatever customizations you want on
top of that.

It is worth looking into sharing solutions with other projects. But most
projects seem to do what we've done: home-brew a solution that fits
exactly their needs. Hard to share that.

--
Shaun