Re: gnome-screensaver: Up for grabs?

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Ikey Doherty <michael i doherty intel com> wrote:
On 21/07/16 14:27, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-07-21 at 14:12 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
>> Hi;
>>
>> On 21 July 2016 at 13:42, Ikey Doherty <michael i doherty intel com>
>> wrote:
>>> So Jeremy Bicha kindly contacted me the other day to express
>>> concern
>>> with Budgie/GNOME Screensaver. I had been toying with the notion of
>>> forking GNOME Screensaver due to its deadness, and making it work
>>> better for Budgie/Modern GNOME integration.
>>>
>>> Jeremy correctly pointed out it might be worth maintaining the
>>> project instead, which I'm up for.
>>
>> AFAIR, gnome-screensaver is part of the "Flashback" session:
>> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback

I would not say that gnome-screensaver is part of Flashback session, but yes - we currently use it.

>> given that it uses Metacity.
>
> I don't know how well that works, or whether they've replaced gnome-
> screensaver and gnome-settings-daemon yet. I refused to add hacks to
> gnome-settings-daemon to make it work under GNOME Flashback as there
> were just too many things that wouldn't work properly with it.

No, we have not replaced gnome-screensaver and gnome-settings-daemon. And currently I don't plan to replace gnome-settings-daemon.

GNOME + (gnome-applets, gnome-flashback, gnome-panel and metacity) == GNOME Flashback:
This is how I see Flashback session, I don't want to start fork projects to keep them almost identical.

About mentioned hacks, there are two things:
- appmenu button that is needed in our session, but is hidden because gnome-settings-daemon sets Gtk/ShellShowsAppMenu when org.gnome.Shell bus name appears. This can be solved with small patch- by not calling start_shell_monitor if XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP contains "GNOME-Flashback".
- default button-layout is not good for Flashback session... but I am against adding hack for this in gss, here I would like to see per-session gsettings overrides (session-dependent defaults). That also would allow to drop hack that is used for GNOME Classic session.

If something is moved from gss to mutter/gnome-shell, I can make/add needed changes in gnome-flashback. It would be really nice if small changes could be accepted.

FWIW in Budgie we added a "Shell Shim" D-BUS API in budgie-wm, the
Mutter wrapper, to implement that compatability, and proxy some calls
back to the panel manager, i.e. for GTK+ ops, such as the EndSessionDialog.

> I think a fork/rename would be the best option to avoid confusion in
> the bug tracker. Given the number of time I have to reassign bugs about
> the desktop file manager window to nautilus from gnome-desktop, it
> would probably be best if bugs weren't stuck there.

OK so if the Flashback guys aren't interested in GNOME Screensaver
longevity (Given the aims _do_ include modernisation on my end, which
might conflict with Flashback goals) then what's the best course?

For long time I already want/plan to merge gnome-screensaver into gnome-flashback. It will give more freedom to make needed changes without affecting any other users and/or sessions that still use gnome-screensaver. So I guess I can say that we are not interested in GNOME Screensaver as standalone module.

Ideally I want to get this thing cleaned up so we can avoid more dead
forks like light-locker and the likes. Fundamental selfish aim for
me is of course Budgie interoptability (Which will serve us until Budgie
12, when we're Wayland, but it would continue to be maintained)

- ikey