Re: Continuous Builds in GNOME

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016, 01:42 Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

Right now, the easiest and cheapest option would literally be moving
the GNOME development infrastructure wholesale to GitHub, put
everything under Travis CI, and keep a separate machine somewhere that
cranks out GNOME Continuous images from the GitHub repositories. For
reasons that you may guess, this is not going to be a very good move.
Any other option involves replicating that set up on gnome.org
infrastructure, with all the issues that it entails.

We already have mirrors of all the Gnome repositories on GitHub, and I believe you could run Travis CI off of those without shifting the entire primary infrastructure to GitHub. Travis CI isn't free-as-in-speech, but as far as I know there is no lock-in. Maybe having such a setup as a temporary measure would 1) visibly demonstrate to module maintainers why it's useful and necessary, and therefore help to get people out of the "it builds on my machine" mindset; and 2) inspire people to replicate it on Gnome infrastructure out of free components. That task would probably seem less daunting if there was a familiar example to follow.

Travis will hardly be ideal either though, because I believe we'd have a hard time getting dependencies of our bleeding edge modules onto their Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 VMs...

Regards,
Philip C