Re: developer.gnome.org and meson

In the medium-to-long term, I'd really appreciate if
developer.gnome.org stopped trying to extract documentation from
random locations inside tarballs, munge the cross-references, and
published the HTML on a static website. This would avoid having to
generate documentation at all, except when needed. After all, Linux
distributions rebuild the documentation when building the binary
packages anyway, so shipping documentation in release tarballs is
pretty much for the benefit of developer.gnome.org to begin with.

Ideally, with the switch to Gitlab, we'd be able to run CI targets for
each module; that would allow us to build the API reference (and any
other documentation we deem worthy of publishing), ensure that the
cross-references pointed to a well-known URL prefix as part of the
build itself, and publish them when pushing a release tag.

Additionally, GitLab pages[0] would ensure that any module with
documentation would have it published, without necessarily teaching
developer.gnome.org how to do it.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

[0]: https://about.gitlab.com/features/pages/