Re: Signature for a released source code package

On Sat, 2017-10-14 at 22:08 +0200, Uwe Scholz wrote:
Now after I thought about it I was wondering how a user can be sure that he gets the same source code which I uploaded to the Gnome servers. The thing is, when I do a release with "make distcheck" as described in the gnome wiki(*), a tar.bz2 file is generated locally on my PC. This file is then copied via scp to the gnome server. But when executing "ftpadmin install" on the gnome server I see that the server is doing some magic and converts the tar.bz2 archive into a tar.xz one. Why does this happen?
Normally automake creates .tar.bz2. I had to do the following in librsvg's configure.ac to make it spit .tar.xz files:

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.9 foreign no-dist-gzip dist-xz])

  Federico