Re: Librsvg 2.41.0 is released

On Thu, 2017-01-05 at 19:25 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
That *will* download, compile, and link stuff like gtk-rs statically
into librsvg.so.  I don't think this is a problem in the long term:
with things like Flatpak we are already moving away from distros
trying
to mandate which dependencies one uses, and moving towards developers
making that choice on their own.

Hi,

It's a total blocker for inclusion in Fedora, where builds have no
network access, and where we are very strongly discouraged from linking
to libraries like gtk-rs. I imagine openSUSE is going to have the same
network access problem, right? Have you tried building it on OBS?

We all want the new Rustified librsvg to make its way into
distributions as soon as possible. I doubt it's going to happen anytime
soon so long as the build involves cargo, so I really hope we can find
some solution to this. Rust is critical to hardening future GNOME
software against attackers, and it's awesome that Federico has been
pushing this forward with librsvg. Now we surely don't want some silly
build system issue blocking that from going out to users.

I also don't agree that Flatpak makes static linking acceptable for
librsvg, because librsvg is a very important platform library and part
of our GNOME runtime. We're probably going to want to have gtk-rs in
the runtime sooner or later to promote Rust development, right? Surely
we're not going to want two different copies of it there.