Re: Paperwork : a personal document manager (scanned and PDFs)

Hey Jerome!

Great to hear from you, and welcome to the GNOME project!

Jerome Flesch <jflesch gmail com> wrote:
(sorry if it's not the correct mailing-list for this kind of discussions)

On Github, someone told me that there is someone else in the Gnome
design team working on mockups for a new document manager / scan
application[1][2]. It looks quite similar to an application I've been
working on for a while: Paperwork.
Website: https://openpaper.work/
Sources: https://github.com/openpaperwork/paperwork/#readme
Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMazTTM6ltg

It's really fantastic to see new apps being worked on for GNOME, particularly when they follow the HIG! Paperwork looks really interesting.

I work on design and I was the one who drew those mockups you linked to. They are indeed intended as potential updates to Simple Scan (they're still pretty new and experimental).

Assuming this is actually a good fit for Gnome, I'm not sure where to
start either. Any indications would be welcome.

It looks to me like Paperwork probably has a specific set of use cases involved - particularly someone who scans lots of text documents. Concentrating on that use case seems like a perfectly good goal to me.

I'm not 100% confident where GNOME's strategy is long-term in this area and would be happy to discuss it with you (just call into #gnome-design whenever you want). One thing that having a standalone scanning utility (in the shape of Simple Scan) does give us is the ability to scan different types of documents, that might end up in different places. Likewise, while we may want to look at Documents' role in the future, it does fit well into the triumvirate of Documents/Photos/Music. :)

Best,

Allan