Re: Paperwork : a personal document manager (scanned and PDFs)

Assuming this is actually a good fit for Gnome, I'm not sure where to
start either. Any indications would be welcome.

It looks to me like Paperwork probably has a specific set of use cases involved - particularly someone who scans lots of text documents. Concentrating on that use case seems like a perfectly good goal to me.

Not necessarily, but take into account a very practical option when scanning documents (OCR). When I made my comment earlier I was thinking about the new applications to scan documents for mobile devices, especially the new features of Dropbox

I'm not 100% confident where GNOME's strategy is long-term in this area and would be happy to discuss it with you (just call into #gnome-design whenever you want). One thing that having a standalone scanning utility (in the shape of Simple Scan) does give us is the ability to scan different types of documents, that might end up in different places. Likewise, while we may want to look at Documents' role in the future, it does fit well into the triumvirate of Documents/Photos/Music. :)

I usually use the scanner a lot to digitize documents for backup or to facilitate their sending via e-mail or instant messaging. When I mentioned adding the feature in gnome-documents I did not do it thinking about how GNOME is doing things and maybe an application like simple-scan can solve the problem.

With the above I mean that the applications of gnome (core apps) should have an option to add files from external sources and I think gnome-photos will be able to add photo from cameras. I think a button to add files from external sources is necessary, for example: Add documents from an external hard drive or pendrive to gnome-documents (copy it to the documents folder) or from a scanner (start an external application as simple-scan) .
Something similar can happen from audio devices (eg iPod) for gnome-music or images/videos from a webcam (Cheese) to gnome-photos/videos (totem), etc.

Probably with gnome-photos the problem of how to import different type of content will be addressed, since cameras can store photos and videos whose contents have different applications in gnome. A similar problem would occur with the scanned documents, since according to their format they will be displayed in gnome-documents or gnome-photos (even if they are not photographs) and it is something that I love about paperwork.
With some integration to add scanned documents to gnome-documents it would be possible for them to appear as documents in spite of their format and not as photos.

--
Hugo