Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 13:49 +0200, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:45:26AM +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 11:33 +0200, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:

<snip>
Most developers are more familiar with the GitHub workflow, I
think
it's
an easier workflow than attaching a patch to a bugtracker ticket.
Once
the contributor has pushed a branch on the fork repo, all the
rest
can
be done from the web interface by clicking on some buttons.

I absolutely hate this workflow, fwiw. I prefer being able to run
"git-
bz" to both create and apply patches, rather than keeping a clone
with
a bunch of patches in my own org, or remembering the commands to
push a
repo to my own repo from the upstream clone.

I hope there will be a git-bz equivalent available.

By attaching a patch to a bugtracker ticket, we loose the information
of
the parent commit: where the commit has been initially created in the
git history.

I've already had the problem that git-bz apply fails (there was a
conflict), while git was able to resolve automatically the conflict
when
rebasing the branch.

That's unsurprising. Presumably, the patch provider can easily rebase,
as one probably should in case of conflict anyway. I don't see the gain
here.