Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 04:25:09PM +0200, Jehan Pagès wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Carlos Soriano <csoriano protonmail com> wrote:
Ah, I see what you mean now. But then you can rebase yourself in master
right? And the build time would be exactly the same no?

Not sure what you mean. You don't want to rebase master under any
circumstances (unless you rebase over origin/master to be able to push
new commits of course). Anyway you usually won't be able to, since
force push should be forbidden in master. And in any cases, this does
not solve the issue I was talking about.

What I want is rebasing a patch branch over master. And no, you cannot
do it *from* master. You have to first checkout the branch so that you
can rebase. Once you checked out, it's too late. Timestamps of various
files are changed even though they didn't change between master and
the rebased branch (but they changed in the in-between step).

'git cherry-pick ..branch' ?

Zbyszek

This is a very common git issue, you can look it up. :-)
There are workarounds. The best one is to create a second working tree
attached to the same local repository (git help worktree), to do the
rebase there without touching the main working tree (the one you
build). Then when you are done, you can checkout the rebased branch.
This is possible and not too bad if you have to do it often, actually.
Though it's still going through a lot of hoops.