Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 10:06 -0400, Pat Suwalski wrote:
On 2017-05-16 07:10 PM, Mattias Bengtsson wrote:
How did you install GitLab? We use the omnibus RPM package for
CentOS
and have had no dependency problems while upgrading from some 7.x
release all the way to 9.1.x over the last few years. A lot come
bundled in the omnibus package and the rest gets installed from the
host operating system repositories.

There's the difference. I don't trust the current omnibus package, so
I install from source. That decision is old, but at the time we
installed, there wasn't an omnibus package.

There lies your problem I believe. I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply
to GNOME.

A proper package would rely on system libraries only.

Shipping software, targeting multiple Linux distributions is hard.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic. Using the only appropriate
install method for this package takes considerable effort.

It is. I don't agree that a manual installation from source is "the
only appropriate install method". That is a rather extreme position to
take and one I'm sure our sysadmins doesn't hold.

In short, I don't consider this an issue.

Regards,
Mattias