Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Thu, 2017-05-18 at 18:08 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Tue, 2017-05-16 at 10:51 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:

That said, here's a potential pain point: in Bugzilla, you can have
different components auto-assign to different accounts, and we made
these @gnome.bugs fake accounts for teams. The docs team uses this
make it easy to follow docs bugs across products. I don't think
GitLab
has any sense of components, preferring the more casual labels for
categorization.
When all that overcategorization in a ticket (Bugzilla: 1 "product"
per
ticket, 1 "component" per ticket, 0-∞ "keywords" per ticket, random
freetext in a "whiteboard" entry, upstream's "tags" fields that GNOME
hides via custom CSS) is turned into a single "Labels" field, with 0-
∞
labels associated to a ticket, and everybody tries to remember adding
that #user-docs label, and if a GitLab user can receive notifications
for certain labels (so docs team members could follow activity), I
don't see a real problem? :)

Our "@gnome.bugs virtual assignee" setup in Bugzilla is a horrible
hack, due to unavailability of an "allow me to receive notifications
for these products / components" functionality for ages [1].

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. As long as there's an
easy way to get a list of issues with a specific label across all
projects (and projects in different groups?), then we'll figure it out.
And if there's not, we'll figure it out another way.

This will likely affect other teams that work across projects, like the
translation teams or the newcomers initiative.

andre

[1] To be fair, a downstream bgo extension got upstreamed at
https://github.com/bugzilla/extensions-ComponentWatching
but that's not shipped /by default/ which makes following anything
that
is neither a ticket nor a user to stalk rather
complicated/cumbersome.