Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Tue, 2017-05-23 at 15:13 +0300, Adrian Perez de Castro wrote:
Hi there,

No strong opinion here about GitLab, just a comment below...

On Tue, 23 May 2017 11:21:25 +0200, Felipe Borges <felipe10borges@gma
il.com> wrote:

[...]

Cons:
- not a big fan of the merge-request workflow
- we will have a bunch of useless forks across the users' accounts

I have seen this concern pop several times in this thread. Does
GitLab strictly require that a merge request is always started from a
fork?

No, this works exactly like in Github.

At least with GitHub and Gogs [1] it's possible to create merge
requests from a branch *in the same repository* (I use branches named
“<username>/<feature>” now and then). If everybody who is a
maintainer is going to have push access in the GNOME GitLab instance,
they can just push their branch to repository and create the merge
request from there — without needing to fork the repository into
their user space.

Exactly.

Only new contributors who don't have the permissions yet would need to
create their own forks.

--
Mathieu