Re: Proposal for reducing the number of unremovable apps in GNOME Software

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 5:05 AM, Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
3. I guess I just find it strange that this mechanism is so decentralised. Can anyone use <mandatory_for_desktop>?

Yes.

Who makes the decisions about what's included and what isn't? How is that monitored and managed?

Application developers make the decision themselves by specifiying it in the application's metainfo.xml/appdata.xml. It's certainly suboptimal.

There used to be a list of "core" desktop files maintained by GNOME Software, so this was not a problem. But this metadata wound up being pushed into appstream a couple years ago.

Michael