Re: Proposal for reducing the number of unremovable apps in GNOME Software

On Mon, 2017-11-06 at 11:15 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

This does not mean that gnome-screenshot should be made
unremovable,
but it definitely needs some additional thought.

Documentation is another factor to consider. Currently, if you look
up how
to take a screenshot, the docs tell you to use the screenshot app
[1].

Allan

[1]
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-user-docs/tree/gnome-help/C/screen
-shot-record.page?h=gnome-3-26

This is definitely something to look at. Setting aside for the moment
the fact that gnome-help has atrophied again lately (sorry), the stuff
we tell people to do in that document reflects what GNOME considers to
be the core, immutable experience.

In the long ago past, the docs team had a very difficult time writing
instructions for a bucket of parts. The unified experience of GNOME 3
has made that easier (tho there's still been disagreement about whether
to direct people to things like Tweak Tool).

I don't know that allowing apps to be uninstalled necessarily changes
what we write. We could still write for the default experience, and if
the user uninstalls something, that's their problem. But it arguably
starts us back on a path of partsbucketism.

--
Shaun