Re: GitHub mirror creates contribution problems

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 at 13:33:44 +0000, Alberto Fanjul Alonso wrote:
Anyway a README.md is available in our projects and is the default for github
(and people used to github). Maybe a simple automatic rebase on master po f a
README.md (and if you want a mirror-master branch as tip on github) can solve
this

The "default branch" on GitHub (equivalent to foo.git/HEAD in simpler
git setups) doesn't *have* to be 'master'. My semi-official GitHub mirror of
the reference implementation of D-Bus has its default branch set to
'github-placeholder', which just has a README.md; the master branch
contains the same code as the official master branch on freedesktop.org.

https://github.com/d-bus/dbus

(In principle I could have created ISSUE_TEMPLATE.md,
PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md, CONTRIBUTING.md etc. too, but so far I haven't)

Or GNOME projects could create these files in .github/WHATEVER.md
on the "real" master branch, although that's extra clutter in the
master branch which maintainers might not want.

https://github.com/blog/2111-issue-and-pull-request-templates
https://help.github.com/articles/helping-people-contribute-to-your-project/

Regards,