Re: GitLab postmortem

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 5:23 AM Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org> wrote:
It has been a few months since we moved to GitLab. Apart of spurious issues, specific annoyances and frustrations, seems it has been generally good. I would like to gather some general feeling about it. Things that really made a constant impact to you and your work, both bad or good. Feel free to provide feedback about the transition or the administration of GitLab instance too. Free form.

I can't express enough what a game-changer it has been for GJS. We saw so many more instances of casual contributors stopping by to fix something small. This was rare enough before the switch and common enough now that I think it can't be a coincidence.

The CI has also made it much easier to merge code without fear. Although that's not only due to GitLab but also thanks to all the work done by contributors such as Claudio André to determine a good set of CI jobs to run in the first place.

There are two main points for improvement in my opinion:

1. No product overview (or any easy way to get statistics) - I have a blog post with some ideas here [1] though sadly I accidentally lost the gh-pages branch that I described in that post.

2. It's really slow, even compared to other GitLab instances.

Regards,
Philip C

[1] https://ptomato.wordpress.com/2018/02/17/weekend-website-experiment/