Re: Retiring app menus - planning for 3.32.0

Christian Hergert <christian hergert me> wrote:
"There is no need for the Quit menu item and the recommendation is to
remove it from all locations."

 - What about applications that have multiple windows? It seems
cumbersome to track down all your windows to ensure the application exits.

My answer right now is, well, users will have to close each window
individually, and that's probably a good thing. For one thing, it will
help to prevent accidental closure.

However, if there are specific cases where closing multiple windows at
once is important, that would be good to explore.

 - If we were to do this in conjunction with systemd/cgroup2 CPU
priority for foreground/background applications (like Android) I'd feel
a lot better about it.

 - I'm also concerned due to how many applications we've had over the
years that get themselves into various types of spin loops. Do we want
to rely on the compositor/shell for force quit?

 - Perhaps this also should be attempted in conjunction with
save/restore session APIs like the old days of SMClient so that we are
more free to kill/freeze background applications on constrained devices?

These all sound like good things to investigate, and if this change
pushes us to do that, then all the better!

Allan