Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 09:02, Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmen carmenbianca eu> wrote:
Defaults and conventions matter. One reason I like GNOME so much is
because the defaults are amazing. And while "master" is a bit of a
sucky default, it still has a lot of weight as a default. And I
question whether it is worth the effort to change that default over a
tiny bit of suckiness.

This precisely indicates the problem with the current situation: The current default sucks, but nobody is willing to change it because nearly everyone every one else is doing it.

And frankly, "because everyone is doing it" is a terrible argument for continuing to do something shitty. If we don't take the first step to fix the problem, who will? Maybe that if GNOME does this, then other projects will follow suit, and it's my sincere hope that this is the case.

(Carmen, this isn't a dig at you, but at us in general)

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>