Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Friday, April 26, 2019, Michael Gratton <mike vee net> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 09:02, Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmen carmenbianca eu> wrote:
Defaults and conventions matter. One reason I like GNOME so much is
because the defaults are amazing. And while "master" is a bit of a
sucky default, it still has a lot of weight as a default. And I
question whether it is worth the effort to change that default over a
tiny bit of suckiness.

This precisely indicates the problem with the current situation: The current default sucks, but nobody is willing to change it because nearly everyone every one else is doing it.

And frankly, "because everyone is doing it" is a terrible argument for continuing to do something shitty. If we don't take the first step to fix the problem, who will?

Assuming there is a problem in the first place which I doubt. I never heard of a case where someone refused to contribute to a project just because the default branch is called master.

I'd suggest to focus on real world problems instead instead of creating some by fixing a non existing one.