Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 2:24 PM Philip Chimento via desktop-devel-list
<desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:

PS. Yes, count me among the completely surprised that GOA is not an API that apps should use. It was not
communicated anywhere close to the level it needed to be. That's on GNOME, not on those app developers.
This is why it's our problem.

A blog post was written and put out there because there was
confusion/issues with 3rd party folks wanting to integrate with GOA.
I'm not sure what more is required?  As a project we tend to only
communicate when there is a fire.  Which given our lack of general
resources is not surprising.  I'm sure people want to better given
appropriate resources.

I want to add one comment: someone on the thread said: "we are a small
niche market".  No.. we're a growing niche market.  I can assure you
of that.  This market is supporting several companies who market
pre-installed machines with Linux based desktop and are thriving.  It
might be slow, but conversions are happening.

Given we are losing google services,  gnome-documents seems to lose a
lot of what would make it useful - managing cloud based documents.
The fact that we are losing this is much more alarming to me than this
discussion over single sign on.  Tens of thousands of people will no
longer be able to use google files through nautilus seems like a big
deal to me in three weeks and should in fact be communicated
immediately as an existential community issue.

GOA will figure itself out one way or another if we care about the
issue.  I wish people would ask me if they need help getting people to
help.  It's one of the things that engagement people are supposed to
help with rather than throwing your hands up in the air and say we
don't have resources.  They are out there.  You just have to attract
them.

sri