Re: GNOME Online Accounts 3.34 won't have documents support

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 1:04 PM Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 11:24:00AM -0800, philip chimento gmail com wrote:
> 2. It's not possible to discontinue support for services X, Y, and Z from
> GOA, and yank the rug out from under apps that expected (even if that
> expectation was wrong) it to be part of a stable platform.

You mean like the time when GJS broke GNOME Documents?

Sorry, I don't know what particular event you're referring to. Sometimes GJS breaks things. When that happens, I spend actually quite a lot of my maintainer time 1) writing about the breakage, so that app developers are aware, and 2) writing about a migration plan, so that app developers know what to do. GJS is even different from GOA because, as pointed out earlier in the thread, GOA is not part of a Flatpak runtime but is still used by Flatpak apps.

A migration plan could be the type of solution that addresses both problems. Or some way to get a workalike service into existing Flatpak runtimes so that apps on, for example, 3.24, don't break.

Nonetheless, I'm sure I make mistakes where GJS breaks things that I don't communicate well enough.

Are you seriously suggesting that because I committed some mistake, you should insist on the right to make the same mistake with eyes wide open?

> PS. Yes, count me among the completely surprised that GOA is not an API
> that apps should use. It was not communicated anywhere close to the level
> it needed to be. That's on GNOME, not on those app developers. This is why
> it's our problem.

Ah, "those app developers"? And who might those be?

You better produce solid proof of a single case where "those app
developers" were screwed over by GOA, or withdraw that comment.

Literally just a few messages before mine in the thread, we heard about deja-dup. I also fell into the same trap at work while considering the technology to use in a particular application, but luckily (?) we ended up not using GOA for unrelated reasons.

For what it's worth, I don't appreciate the ad-hominem attack here. I intended to *help* you by trying to break the cycle of people ignoring your problem and yelling at you about theirs, and vice versa, but if you prefer to continue yelling then suit yourself.

Philip C