Re: I believe we should reconsider our sys-tray removal

On Mon, 2019-03-25 at 10:49 -0400, Pat Suwalski wrote:
On 2019-03-25 10:37 a.m., Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
    On a default gnome install on any modern screen, only
    about 25% of the top bar contains any information at all. It can't be
    "the most important real estate" and be so underutilized.

It's important because it's the UI element that is *always visible* at
all times.

So let me hide it. Everyone's happy.

Off-topic different conversation - feel free to find the corresponding
ticket (which likely will explain GNOME's visual identity to you).

If an application is in the background, why do you need to see an icon
all the time?

Because I got an IM while I was away from my desk. It shows up in the
completely useless notification menu that is under the clock. Its
notification got clobbered by Rhythmbox's notification that the song
changed while I was on the can. I wonder why I never see my original
notification.

You may want to disable "Plugins > Notifications" in Rhythmbox to not
flood your notification area with things you don't consider helpful.

Alternative: oh hey, the Pidgin icon is flashing!

Some flashing stuff is a good description of super annoying distracting
behavior (compared to a default notification in the notification area).

If the application needs to notify you of any state change while it's
hidden, it can use a notification; if you need an icon to interact with
a background application, you can literally re-launch it from the dash
or from the applications grid, and you'll get an application window.

Keepass: I want the icon so I can click it and it makes the correct
password available o nthe clipboard.

I don't see a big issue in switching to a window in which Keepass is
running. That's probably two clicks instead of one though, admitted.

Screen recording: I want a place on
screen to click to stop it without recording a window change.

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R exists:
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/shell-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Screen sharing: icon shows me that someone is connected (this
information is useless hidden in a menu).

I'd expect an icon in the upper right corner (like for screencasts).

Cheers,
andre

--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net