Re: Replacing "master" reference in git branch names (was Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules)

On Fri, 2019-05-03 at 15:35 +0200, Carmen Bianca Bakker wrote:
Je ven, 2019-05-03 je 14:45 +0200, Bastien Nocera skribis:

<snip>
If we agree that the "master" in the git branch name is the same
"master" that's used in "master copy" meaning "the original", "the
one
medium that other copies are made from", then it's probably a
"master/slave" relationship.

There are still existing mentions of "slave copies". In short,
"master
copies" could have been called that because the copies made from it
were "slave copies".

This logic makes sense to me, thank you. That was the missing bit of
logic for me. I can get on board with that.

Beyond just that logic, however, are there organisations who hold the
same opinion? Affected people who do? That would be immensely
valuable
as rationale for making the change, beside this somewhat semantic
argument.

I've quoted a few individuals who made this change in the original
mail, but I don't have more information here.

The shitstorm is to be expected one way or another. The only
difference
would be whether GNOME or The Linux Foundation is smeared in
internet
comments as "SJWs changing things and I don't like it".

Because you think that it would be just the organisations being
smeared? Or that they would just be smeared? Sorry, I'm not
courageous
(or foolish) enough to even attempt that.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting. You said that doing this upstream would
result in people being mad. I asserted that it's going to result in
people being mad one way or another. I did not mean or imply anything
other than that, and do not see how this statement can be interpreted
otherwise.

It's mostly about the size and reach of the people "being mad", and the
target audience. When GNOME adopts a full code of conduct for online
behaviour (our current one is only for events), I don't expect it to
cause the same sort of response from the wider community as when the
Linux kernel did. Or when Python removed the "master/slave" terms from
its code base.

In any case, thank you, you've convinced me. I stand by most of what
I've said, but I can kind of see the connection to the practice of
slavery more clearly.

If the change can be done transparently (i.e., nobody needs to lift a
finger, as said in the thread), I don't have any strong objections
against the change. Otherwise I'd urge to balance the gains against
the
pains.