Re: Replacing "master" reference in git branch names (was Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules)

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 5:09 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
- And to what?

A few possible names were mentioned/used. "mainline" was thought to
have strong connections to drug use, "release" (use in the contributor
covenant) seems to restrictive (we also do releases from other
branches). I like "main" because it keeps 2 letters from "master" so
diminishes the need to retrain your muscle memory. "trunk" definitely
makes sense when talking about branches but doesn't have the "ma<tab>"
advantage.

"main" seems like it should be safe, yet since you linked to https://github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant/issues/569 it seems fair to quote the second comment there:

"Main" suggests inequality, I'm against that.

So good luck finding an inoffensive name for the, er, primary branch. (I probably shouldn't say "primary," though, since primacy also suggests inequality....)

Michael