Re: Replacing "master" reference in git branch names (was Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules)

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 5:57 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
Seriously Michael, you’re embarrassing yourself.

I don't feel very embarrassed. Your suggested alternative name, "main," is clearly considered to be offensive by at least one of the very same people who don't like "master," and who amazingly appears to be sincere about this, so does it really still seem like a good option? We're not going to accomplish much if we replace one apparently-offensive branch name with another.

Keep trying... eventually we'll find something that is inoffensive. I don't think anybody has complained about "trunk" yet. At least I don't think elephants will be contributing to GNOME anytime soon.

Michael