Re: .92 tarball deadline and hard code freeze

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:25 am, Mart Raudsepp <leio gentoo org> wrote:
This sounds more like a "problem" with the distribution, not that such
releases shouldn't happen.
If a minor release upgrade prompts for a full system reboot, then maybe
that update shouldn't be packaged up on such distros - it shouldn't
mean the translations shouldn't get out the door in general in a tagged
release.

Fedora will continue to take all GNOME updates. Our update script isn't smart enough to conditionally decide whether a release has interesting changes or not like a human would do.

Or they could be gated to all get pushed down all at once, so
the reboot is made for many .4 packages, some of which have bug fixes
too.

That's a good point, but it's certainly also nice to have fewer total packages to update. :)

(Of course, don't hesitate to release updates when you actually have bugfixes.)

Also so late as .4 often seems to be more like a "oh, I haven't done
any work on this module at all this cycle, so there's only translation
updates - let me get at least these out for users to benefit from the
translators work, but I'll not bump the minor as there have been no
code changes" kind of deal too, so distros prompting reboots can
include them in their next cycles updates, while others know to take
them earlier.

Yeah, that's a good point. I have a module in this situation, GNOME Sudoku, with only translation updates since 3.34.1. On the one hand, since there are no changes since 3.34, there's really no need to do a 3.36: I could just call the next release 3.34.2 so that 3.34 users benefit from the translation changes.

On the other hand, it's probably better to avoid the extra 3.34 update, so I think I'll call it 3.36.0? Hadn't really given it much thought until now.

Michael