A humble concern about keyboard abilities of GNOME

Dear GNOME Community

I've been using GNOME-based Ubuntu Linux distributions since 2009. I accept me as a desktop-focused Linux user.

I like to improve GNOME applications and I have been a GNOME Translator for some years. I also keen on finding bugs and reporting them. My favourite GNOME application is GIMP and I have translated 40% of it recently.

I have a concern. GNOME has been focusing on some responsible sides of application recently but missing some fundamental keyboard-based common usages.

As HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) defines some interface guidelines, I believe we need a keyboard guideline too.

IMHO, a GNOME application should have some common keyboard commons. For example:

* F1: Show help
* F10: Open menu (if it has has a gear/hamburger menu)
* F11: Fullscreen (if it has this ability)
* Ctrl + F1: Keyboard shortcuts

* Each GNOME application (Especially, if its name starts with GNOME) must at least have a help page which describes the ability of application. * Each GNOME application (Especially, if its name starts with GNOME) must have the Keyboard Shortcuts page.

* Keyboard Shortcuts page must list these shortcuts under the General section:
- F1: Show help
- F10: Open menu (if it has has a Gear/Hamburger menu)
- F11: Fullscreen (if it has this ability)
- Ctrl + F1: Keyboard shortcuts

My suggestion most probably solve some usability problems.

--
Sabri Unal
Free/Open Source software translator.