Ximian GNOME 1.4 is available.

			The Monkeys at Ximian

			are proud to announce

		    the immediate availability of:

			  Ximian GNOME 1.4!

Introduction
------------

    For the past year, we at Ximian have worked hard to make Ximian
    GNOME the best free desktop available.  Our latest release
    incorporates such an enormous number of improvements and new
    applications that when we'd finished, we were truly awed by what
    we'd done.  We think that you will be too.

I'm salivating already!  How do I get it?

    Installation instructions can be found on our web site at:

            http://www.ximian.com/desktop/download.php3

    Or you can kickoff an installation with one simple command.  In a
    root shell, simply type:

            lynx -source http://go-gnome.com/ |sh

Ximian GNOME 1.4 Highlights
---------------------------

    Built on GNOME 1.4.

    Red Carpet
        For the first time, ever, Ximian GNOME now includes the
        all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful Red Carpet 1.0 software
        manager!  Now better than ever, with our patent pending
        DepTrickityTrickTrackTronix 3000 dependency resolution
        algorithm!

        Please: No applause.  Just throw money.

    Nautilus File Manager
        Nautilus ships as the default file manager in Ximian GNOME
        1.4.  Nautilus is a major enhancement over gmc, the previous
        GNOME file manager, and we think that our users will be
        pleased with the way it enhances their desktop experience.
        GMC is provided as an option for users who do not wish to
        switch away or who have an unnatural aversion to antialiased
        fonts.

    Mozilla
        Ximian GNOME 1.4 incorporates Mozilla 0.8.1, in all its glory,
        as the default web browser.  Mozilla is also deeply integrated
        with your desktop in the following, dangerously exciting ways:

              . Mozilla acts as the web browsing component of the
                Nautilus file manager.  Bang!

              . Files saved from the web browser automatically appear
                on your desktop.  Pow!

       The combined result of these extraordinary developments is a
       Total Web Browsing Solution the likes of which has never been
       seen before BY HUMAN EYES!

    MonkeyTalk Live Support

        If you have a permanent Internet connection, then help with
        your Ximian GNOME desktop is just a click, a drag, and then a
        release of the same mouse button that you clicked just a
        second ago away!  (Note: Joe has just told me that you do not
        need to drag.  You can, in fact, click, *then immediately
        release*, and then later, in the part where previously you had
        just released, you replace that action with a new click.
        That's two clicks, people.)

        But I digress.  MonkeyTalk is an online community chat support
        facility built into every application and staffed by trained
        Ximian personnel.

Desktop Featurettes
-------------------

    Menu Reorganization

        A new, cleaner and more intuitive application menu
        organization is now available.

    GNOME Doorman

        The GNOME doorman is a desktop setup assistant that runs the
        first time you log into a Ximian GNOME 1.4 desktop.  The
        doorman walks you through setting your file manager, widget
        theme, wallpaper, and a number of other configuration options,
        making it easy for you to quickly get up and running on your
        slick new desktop.

    "Documents" folder

        The file open/save dialog has been extended to include a quick
        link to your "Documents" directory, making it a bit easier for
        you to keep your files in order.

    Rounded Menubar

        The menubar at the top of the screen now boasts prettier,
        more childsafe corners.

    New Wallpaper, New Applications, and more!

        The number of new software packages and themes available in
        Ximian GNOME 1.4 is too extensive to list here.  A complete
        package list is available from:

                http://www.ximian.com/desktop

Supported Platforms
-------------------

    Ximian GNOME 1.4 is available for most GNU/Linux distributions:

       . Red Hat Linux 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0 and 7.1
       . Debian GNU/Linux Stable ("Potato")
       . Mandrake 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2
       . SuSE 6.3, 6.4 and 7.0
       . TurboLinux 6.0
       . LinuxPPC 2000
       . Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server 1.2

    Support for Debian "Woody," SuSE 7.1, Mandrake 8.0 and Solaris is
    forthcoming in the next few weeks.  Sit tight; we haven't
    forgotten you.

Further Information

    More information about Ximian GNOME 1.4 will be made available on
    our web site after we get some sleep.  You can also feel free to
    drop us a line at hello ximian com; we'd love to hear from you.

    Also, as an added bonus, we have buried one of our developer's
    cell phone numbers somewhere in the desktop.  If you can find it,
    give him a call; he'd love to hear from you.

That's all!

Share and enjoy,
The Ximian GNOME 1.4 Team