DND metadata vs. .desktop(was: Re: Netscape URL drag and drop on applets.)

which brings me to the subject ... for this to work properly ... we need to
add support for drops to .desktop files ... (since not all drops will just
add a string to the command line) ... I guess just taking what gmc does and
adding support for that directly in .desktop files ... (then gmc would check
the mime type of  the file .. if it's .desktop if would read the file, if
it's a different file it would read the metadata ...)

in fact ... I guess the .desktop and the metadata set on an executable should
be identical ... basically a .desktop file is a way to store the metadata in
a nice file format (and is a way to store metadata independently of the
executable, which is what the panel for example needs to do ... and which is
why the current way of gmc doing things won't cut it, unless we'd put in even
more ugly hacks to the panel)

another thing I guess which needs to be addressed is that not all .desktop
files start executables ... we already have hacks in for starting url's and
goad servers ... so this needs to add more .desktop types ...

as long as we keep this stuff absolutely backward compatible with the old way
of doing things ... we can add this to 1.0 ... and this can be easily done
... old style .desktop entries will be read in and apps could still use the
API as they have in the past (though there isn't that many apps using the
dentry api)

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: