Re: gnome build tool

Hello hackers and Mr.Kacar,

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 00:44:06 +0200
Drazen Kacar <dave@srce.hr> wrote:

> Could you explain what it would look like from the user's
> perspective?
I think you would like to know some of the invocation scenarios.

In any of invocation scenarios, you do not need to invoke those
helper tools (libtoolize, gettextize, aclocal, autoheader, autoconf,
and automake) at all.  Consequently, you do not need to know the
command line argument for those helper tools either.  gnome-build
knows the parameter and properly invokes those tools for you.

If installing all of those tools is a burden on the user, we can
include everything in the proposed package (all of those tools in
my system, packed into a single tarball would be about 1.1M).  I hope
that this is not necessary though.

Here are some sample scenarios:

1. To configure everything from the source in /usr/src/gnome:
gnome-build -mode=configure -source=/usr/src/gnome/*.tar.gz

If you are configuring gnome to be installed to the same prefix as
gnome-build, you do not need to specify the prefix

2. To build the tree you just configured:
gnome-build --mode=build all

gnome-build look at the config.cache, which in turn points to what to
build, so you do not need to specify them.

3. To install:
gnome-build -mode=install all

4. To create rpm's from what you have just compiled:
gnome-build -mode=rpm -spec=/usr/src/gnome/specs/*.spec

There is a nice tool called rpmbuild, which, if I recall, is written
by the author of gnorpm.  With that tool, you do not have to rebuild
the whole thing again. So I would include that tool in the package.

5. To update the control-center:
gnome-build -mode=update \
-source=/usr/src/gnome/control-center-new-version.tar.gz

If the updated version of the control-center-new-version.tar.gz
requires, say glib and gtk+ to be updated, it will prompt you to get
those tarballs'.  It will recompile the glib, gtk+, try to re-link
everything else that depends on glib, and gtk+, including the
control-center, which you wanted to update in the first place.

6. In a rare situation where other package cannot be re-linked with
the new glib and gtk+, knowing that those packages are not binary
compatible to your system, you may want to avoid the update
altogether.  Instead, you can delete the config.cache and all the
object files from the previous build by calling:
gnome-build -mode=clean all

Afterwards, you can reconfigure the source tree from scratch, to see
if the new glib, gtk+, and everything else are source code compatible.
You can try this without risking your working system.

By default, gnome-build looks for the installed libraries and headers
to satisfy dependency.  In this particular scenario, we want
gnome-build to ignore what's already installed.  You need to specify
this in the command line:
gnome-build -mode=configure -source=/usr/src/gnome/*.tar.gz \
-ignore-installed=all

I hope this answers your question.

Zen

----------/* E-Mail : <atmczen@ibm.net > */----------