Re: BUILD: gdm spec file changes

The problem with this is that the spec file that gets distributed with the
tarball will contain the prefix and directory preferences of the source
packager.  If these settings differ from the user's machine, then problems
will occur if they do a "rpm -ta ...".

For true relocatability, some extra work needs to be done on gnome-libs.
Currently most packages are almost relocatable (the one path compiled into
them is the locale dir).  This will probably be fixed in the 1.1 series.
One thing I plan to look at for 1.1 is getting an application to deduce
its installed prefix from argv[0], and search for files there before
checking GNOME's prefix (this would probably be used to deduce the locale
dir as well). This would allow NEXTphiles to create self contained
application directories that could be moved around freely, and allow you
to use the --relocate option for RPM how it was designed to be used.

As I said, this will not be in gnome 1.0, so it is probably not worth
making these sort of changes now.

James Henstridge.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au