Re: MIME extensions.

James Green wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, James M. Cape wrote:
>
> > mark@hoist.nlc.net wrote:
> > >
> > > File extensions should never be trusted.  Unix has a command called
> > > "file" which should be used to determine file type.
> > >
> > > The absolute WORST thing about win95 is how it associates an
> > > "extension" with an application.  This isn't being considered for
> > > Gnome or GMC, is it??  please god, NO.
>
> I think that file should be used, but that filename extensions should be
> used only as a visual aid to the user.
>
> > At the moment, file extensions are used. Hopefully, they will be
> > replaced with the actual file type, but before that happens, Gmc needs a
> > way to deal with network mounts intellegently (and turn off things like
> > "file" for a network mount).
>
> I thought GMC is now only in development for bug-fixes? That's what I just
> got told via bugs.gnome.org system.

Well, SMBFS was just added a few weeks ago or so, so I don't know how
accurate that report is. And even if Gmc *is* dead, that doesn't mean
it's follow-on can't benefit from wishes meant for Gmc.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill