Re: anoncvs failures

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Tomas Ogren wrote:

> On 12 August, 1999 - James Green sent me these 1,4K bytes:
>
> > > cvs server: failed to create lock directory in repository `/cvs/gnome/audiofile': Permission denied
> > > cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/cvs/gnome/audiofile'
> > > cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
> > >
> > > Note that my CVS get script retries 5 times, so this is not just a
> > > failure on a single mirror; it's happening on all of them.
> >
> > How does it detect failure and try again?
> >
> > And I concur that this isn't just VA's broken machine - it's them all (I
> > guess).
>
> I run farbror.acc.umu.se, which is one of the anoncvs machines. I just
> tried doing a fresh checkout out the entire gnome module. All works
> fine.
> Also, I don't see any error message from the rsync log which currently
> spans 2 weeks back.

Hmm.

Just done some testing. It seems that if CVSROOT is anoncvs.gnome.org, the
errors leap up. This however fixes it:

[jg@cyberstorm gnome]$ export
CVSROOT=":pserver:anonymous@farbror.acc.umu.se:/cvs/gnome"
[jg@cyberstorm gnome]$ cvs login
(Logging in to anonymous@farbror.acc.umu.se)
CVS password:
[jg@cyberstorm gnome]$ cvs -z3 update -Pd gnome-libs
? gnome-libs/libvfs
cvs server: Updating gnome-libs
[ etc ]

So, something's up with the handling of anoncvs.gnome.org in cvs I guess.
I don't know what, I'm a complete novice at cvs. Using cvs-1.10.5-2.

I tried anoncvs.gnome.org update four times with the same result. My
machine does not cache dns.

--
James Green
http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk/