Re: libglade-build.patch (fwd)

Elliot Lee wrote:

> On 16 Aug 1999 16:34:48 -0400, Chris Jones <chris@black-sun.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >Hi
> >
> >> Well, we have to fix this somehow - there is no way a package build
> >should
> >> require an X display...
> >
> >Just a thought, but (at least on the systems I've seen), a font server
> >is running before X starts. Is it possible to get information from
> >that directly rather than going via X (since, presumably, X must get
> >it's font list from the font server....)
>
> No, we can't require any daemons to be running in order to _COMPILE_ the
> various GNOME packages, which was the problem here. GnomeFontSelector
> probably needs to be fixed not to try to do the XListFonts until an actual
> object is created, and any other problem objects need to be fixed.
>
> Or preferably, gtkdoc needs to be fixed to get its information in another
> manner.

gtk-doc gets the widget hierarchy, the signals emitted, and the Args supported
all dynamically. To get all this from parsing the source is pretty awkward
(though I did do a bit of work trying to get signal information this way.)

This dynamic querying of libraries is all done by gtkdoc-scanobj, which is only
needed when creating/updating all the documentation template files. So maybe
that shouldn't be part of the normal build process - it's a developer-only thing.

Alternatively, doing the X stuff in the widget's init function rather than the
class init function seems OK to me.

Damon