Re: corba/gnorba/bonobo documentation + misc question/ideas

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> >  Well, I use pixmap gtk+ themes all the time, together with the cvs version
> >  of e. You can compare with Windows9x in redraw times by saying that GTK is
> >  slower to the point of noticbly lagging behind. This is prolly due to the
> >  redrawing of the pixmaps, but it should be investigated for possible
> >  improvements.
>
> The pixmap engine is very broken.  You should not use it unless you
> have an obscenely fast machine and a penchant for flicker :-)

pixmap engine or pixmap theme? i don't use the pixmap them.

> What the pixmap engine really needs is a rewrite.  This is planned, so
> don't worry about it.

as in, the thing who's latest tarball in 0.5?

> >  Another thing to notice though is that the loading of applications is
> >  often slower than in Windows, GMC takes about twice the time that Explorer
> >  does.
>
> Remember that Explorer is built up of many COM components.  Many of
> them are loaded when Windows boots, and they are used all the time, so
> there is a very good chance that they will be in memory when you
> request to open an Explorer window.

I thought GMC was effectively the same, using gnome GTK components?

> >  1. Sometimes if you click to bring up a menu and move over the *expected*
> >  location of the entry (i.e. before it's had time to actually draw the
> >  menu) and then click when you see it (lag of around a second?) GTK doesn't
> >  pick it up - you have to bring up the menu twice to have the entry pick up
> >  mouse events.
>
> Where do you see this behavior?  Can you replicate it?

All the time. On both counts.

--
James Green
http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk/