Re: Simplifying package installation.

This should be possible using librpm.  Librpm allows openning multiple
databases, so having a second personal one is not a problem.

You will need to write custom dependency checking code though (to check
both personal and system databases).  This is not impossible, as both
rpmfind and gnorpm do this when using the rpmfind.net RPM metadata
database.  I would not recommend using gnorpm as a starting point, since
the dependency code there is a bit messy, and in need of a bit of a clean
up.

Using --root may need a chroot() call, but --relocate may work for non
priviledged users.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au