Re: Simplifying package installation.

Ronald de Man wrote:

> Hmmm.. the problem probably is that you would like to have access to
> the system db to see if libgnome and friends are available. If the
> system doesn't use rpm then there's no up to date db, but libgnome
> might still be installed.

That's a good point.  So, a Personal Package Manager (PPM) would be an add-on to RPM or Deb, as mentioned earlier.

Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> This worked with early 2.xx releases; nowadays rpm does a chroot().

Eh.  I can't see why they wanted to change this, but since they did, a PPM would have to be yet another package manager.  How about basing it on a stripped-down RPM?  I really need something like this for Loci.

Cheers.
Jeff