Re: getting desktop size

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 03:15:08PM -0500, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > I think both the panel and gmc doing the same calculations (they don't
> > currently try to get the hints) is bad ... that would increase server traffic
> > much more I think ...
>
> As I see it, a hint protocol should be to tell apps or the WM things they don't
> already know, it should not be a way to make the WM do calculations for two
> specific clients with unusual needs.
>
> Incidentally, why does the panel need to track dock windows at all?

to put it's windows around these ... for example to avoid icons and stuff
(like other docks) if told .... this is another reason why it should be  a
hint to the app from the WM ... the WM can decide that it doesn't care about
the icons for such things ... it can also have it's docks or some areas it
doesn't want touched ...

basically it should be the WM telling the panel what areas are free for it to
use ... for example in kde the panel is override redirect ... so they already
have some support for this ... there has to be a hint ... then gnome panel
could be used along with kde panel without any of them eating the other's
space

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: