Panel problems on Solaris

I've gotten up to building libgtop, libghttp and gnome-core from the
release and I've been trying to play with the panel. All my attempts
to add an applet fail - the applet does not run, but a new panel starts
up and pops up over the old one. In some special cases, like the Fish,
the original panel segfaults and dies before the applet starts up.

Has anyone else had problems like this? Could someone at least suggest
what component I should be looking at?

 - Maciej