MDI Child menus don't show.

When doing:
gnome_mdi_child_set_menu_template(GNOME_MDI_CHILD(child), main_child_menu);
I receive no warning/error but when running the gnome app the menus won't change!
I come back to the gnome-hello-7-MDI and I changed the
#undef USE_TEMPLATES
#define USE_TEMPLATES
so, the menu creation is done trough the apphelper, but then the child menu don't
shows
and the "Children" menu won't contain any menuitem.
If a go back and use #undef USE_TEMPLATES to create the menus it works ok.
I have looked at ghex code, but they are using a subclass, ...
Won't this simple way work??
Can anyone explain me why it doesn't works?
(gnome-libs-1.0.11)
Thanks,
Manuel Clos.