Troubleshooting gnome-session connection

Hi,

Does anyone have advice on how to find out why GNOME apps can't
connect to my gnome-session?  Nothing can connect to it, not even
save-session.  I'm at a loss of how to find out where the missing
link is.  Can I monitor the ICE protocol somehow?  Or better yet,
the SM layer?  Or does gnome-session have some sort of tracing
mechanism?

It's really rather frustrating.  I'd like to get session
management working for my own app, but without gnome-session
working, I can't confirm if my SM code is correct.

Thanks,
John