Re: GNOME panel "menu" applet

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 03:10:25PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Michael> I agree. The system menu should be invisible to normal users
> Michael> - they should start with a copy of it instead. (Not that it's
> Michael> hard to make a copy and then hide the original, but it would
> Michael> be nicer to have this done automatically).
>
> If you mean a real copy, as in in ~/.gnome, then I disagree.  Copying
> is bad because updates to the system menus won't be seen by users.

If you are the admin on a machine used by beginners, it is really nice
to have a menu that you control.  They can't delete items or break
them, which means that I don't get people complaining that Netscape no
longer works (when really they mucked around with the Netscape menu
item).

Talking about system defaults etc., it would be nice if there was a way
to specify the default launchers and panel applets for the system.  At
the moment the defaults are hard coded into the panel, which sucks a
bit.

Lyndon